RevelateOrtlieb CloseoutsSchwalbeCoaster2 Closeout

Bike Computer Concept – The Cerevellum

by Warren T

Hindsite
The Cerevellum head-unit and module system pictured here is not yet available to the public — but I’m looking forward to the day that it is. According to their website, (defunct ) the system

eliminates the redundant digital screens found on (his) handlebars and integrates them into one user-friendly screen.

The system will include a base unit with:

• A 3.5 inch LCD screen
  • Internal Litium-ion battery
  • A 32 MB RAM card which you can use to save your workout data
  • Four USB slots for some pretty cool modules.

The currently proposed modules:

• Hindsight – a rear view video camera
  • GPS Mapping
  • Power Meter
  • Cycle Computer
  • Heart-Rate Monitor

I wish Santa would have been able to put this in my stocking this year…

Merry Christmas to all!

Revelate Sale

8 Responses to “Bike Computer Concept – The Cerevellum”

1. Albert says:

As a year round Seattle commuter, I think it’s an interesting idea, but how waterproof is it??

2. Dale says:

There is a better application for this type of technology.
    1. Recorded video footage of how ignorant drivers can be when driving bicyclists off the road. I’ve heard of motorcyclists and bicyclists using it to press criminal charges on drivers.

2. Take the rear camera and point it forward. This will be beneficial for time trial and triathlete cyclists trying to keep the aero tuck position for longer distances on straight stretches of road. Imagine, a cyclist can keep their head down maybe 70% of the road course.

3. doug says:

stupid. technology like this does not make riding a bike any more fun.

4. Robert Sorenon says:

Interesting gizmo. I have to agree with Joel. I can spend $800 on many other useful items. Although if I had the extra cash to spend on a gizmo I would probably look at it. The rear camera would be nice if it stored the video feed in case (knock-on-wood) a commuter/cyclist were ever hit by car and it drove off.

5. David Schloss says:

The upcoming Garmin 705, to be out around spring does all the features minus “rearview” camera. I can’t imagine that’s going to be easier than turning around.

6. Peter Wang says:

I think what it could really be useful for would be a completely prone, fairing-enclosed bike, where the rider has a maximally aerodynamic posture, but it’s then way to difficult to look… so the VDT would be used for ALL directions. Of course, it would have to be a large, hi-def screen.

7. Fritz says:

Merry Christmas and Christ’s blessings on your and yours, Warren.

8. JoelGuelph says:

I think you’d have to get it from Santa!

You could buy some pretty nice commuters for the price of that unit with all the modules. By their website, it’ll be $299 for the main unit, plus $60 for the cyclometer module, GPS @ $200, and the power meters @ $800, with the equipment.

As a commuter, the rear-view camera seems interesting, but not really any more effective than a mirror. They don’t mention how much the camera would be, but I’d guess at least a $100. I can see that it is not marketed towards commuters.

If you have the money, great, but I can think of a lot better ways to spend that kind of cash on my bikes. Very cool yes, but pretty impractical.