Lonely Ride

One of our dedicated readers. Sgt. Travis Beard sent me an email asking if I would post a question for the masses to answer.

One Tandem

What to do with a tandem when you lose the other rider? (Due to a Divorce or
other)

0 thoughts on “Lonely Ride”

1. RL Policar says:

I saw sell it and get yourself a nice bike.

2. Randy says:

Losing that significant other could either be good or bad. It all depends on how you look at it. Either way you have no need for a tandem bike. I would take RL’s advice and get rid of it. One less thing you have to remind you of the other person.

3. Travis says:

Well i didnt actaually lose anyone.. I picked mine up at a swap meet here in stuttgart. I was just wondering that because i always see men and women riding tandems, and they are usually married or dating.

yes i ponder some strange things when i am bored at work.

Travis

4. Randy says:

Travis, how do you like Germany. I’ve actually considered my next PCS to Europe.

5. Travis says:

I love it. I its kinda strange though. I am at a Army base.. being air force its kinda strange. But I love Europe. but my wallet doesnt . With inflation here in Europe going crazy… And the weak dollar, the 1st and 15th do not come soon enough. I take the bike for the economics of it.

Travis

I’ve never ridden on a tandem. Do people use them for anything other than romantic liesurely rides? They seem like a novelty to me.

7. Travis says:

They had a Tandem race the other day about 30km from here last weekend.

I saw this dude at the Rosarito-Ensendada ride riding a tandem with a fake skeleton riding on the front. There’s an idea for you.

9. Charles says:

Whenever I see a couple riding a tandem, I wonder why it is that the guy is always up front. Maybe it’s just me, but I would prefer to be on the rear. I mean the back part of the bike. Errr, no I don’t. Sorry.

10. RL Policar says:

To me, the day you sit in the back of the tandem is the day your mancard expired. It would be the same as you taking your wife’s last name after getting married.

11. todd says:

Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon…

The man has some amazing bikes. The last time I saw him, he was on a bike he’d switched to a left-hand drive. “Just because.” Come to think of it, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him on the same bike twice.

I’ve never been to his house, but I’m positive he lives in a tent out in the back yard because the house is full of bikes.

Now I see. The tandem bicycle is more than a novelty; it’s a symbol of patriarchal oppression.

13. Charles says:

Man card? I never got no stinking man card. And what’s wrong with taking your wife’s name? Why should she have the sole right to take a man’s name, trash the hell out of it, file for divorce and then switch back to her original and untrashed name. Seems like a good deal to me. Add to that the “her money is my money and my money is my money” option and I’ll sign up right now. Hey, I could even have my very own show towels.

14. RL Policar says:

hmm, that sounds like a feminist talking…

15. Travis says:

AHHHH look what a single question can start.