First Bike

tricycle

Do you remember your first bike? I’ve had several. But the one that sticks out in my mind the most was a silver BMX style bike that my Dad bought for me. I remember the day we took it home. I couldn’t wait to ride it everywhere. I was trying so hard to pop wheelies and do bunny hops. But as a young kid I wasn’t too good at it. Who am I kidding; I wouldn’t what you call an expert on the matter. The one thing I wanted to do the most was ride my bike to school. That’s what all the cool kids did. But I was told that I couldn’t because my brother was too young to ride his bike. That meant another year of walking to school. Thanks a lot RL! What was your most memorable moment on your first bike?

0 thoughts on “First Bike”

1. RL Policar says:

Man that’s a tough question, I have tons of memories. But one of my favorites would be times when Randy, myself and our cousins would play cops and robbers.

Or we’d pretend to be CHiPs, I always wanted to be Ponch! But I do remember one time back in the Philippines where Randy had a side-car on his bike and we took it up this huge hill and we both rode down. I sat in the side car, and once we got to the bottom of the hill, he turned the handle bar which made the side car lift up into the air, luckily with my cat-like reflexes I was able to shift my weight in order to bring the side car back down.

Then there where times when we’d put the aluminum cans in our tires so when it spun it would it the back of the fork causing it to make a motorcycle sound….hehe good times!

When I was 14, I took my used road bike from my house in Portsmouth, NH to my friend’s house in Rye, NH, by the beach. I wasn’t a very athletic kid, and at the time it was the longest distance I’d travelled on my bike. It took over an hour, and I arrived hot, sweaty, legs feeling like they were made of wood, and with a powerful sense of accomplishment. I think I had my parents pick me and my bike up cause I was too tired to ride home.

I just mapped out the route I took, and it was about eight miles.

3. Randy says:

Cat like reflex?! Every one seems to have their own version of the truth. But what really happened was, RL just sat there and cried like a little girl (as usual). While I execute this calculated stunt flawlessly.

I don’t remember the brand, all I recall is that it was blue, it had a banana seat and a sissy bar. It was also too big for me to ride, but I still rode it anyways. There was a time that I lived in Puerto Vallarta, I used to go from one end of the town to the other in that good ol’ bike. I guess I always had the ‘bike bug’ in me.

5. Dan says:

My first 2 wheeler was a green Spiegel brand bike that my parents picked up at a yard sale. We got it home and I tried it out – and promptly ran over the new puppy! Both of us survived.

6. Travis says:

I had a blue K-mart special. God i remember it fondly.

Travis

7. alberto says:

I didn’t have a tricycle so I remember my two-wheeler distinctly. I must have been about seven or eight (in Spain). The bike was a beauty: a little, deep red Orbea with shiny steel fenders and rack. I don’t remember learning how to ride it or who taught me, but I do remember having such a great time with it along with my friends. Too bad I don’t have any pictures of it. What a beauty!

8. Derek says:

My first ride of course!!