Thursday Is Bike To Work Day

Don’t forget to make a difference by riding your bike to work tomorrow!

Bike to work

0 thoughts on “Thursday Is Bike To Work Day”

1. Priscilla says:

Cool! I think everone should post a pic of themselves riding to work!

2. Travis says:

Will a pic of my route work? i cant really take a picture of myself.

Travis

3. Jay says:

Thursday? Must be different than the National Bike to Work Day which is Friday, May 19. Oh well, doesn’t matter which day, just ride your bike to work!

4. Randy says:

Jay the 19th is extra credit.

5. Chris says:

I try to ride to work at least 3 days a week, but I couldn’t do it today. I’ve ridden in both rain and snow, so that’s fine, but the forecast called for small hail this afternoon.

Yeah, uh, I’ll stay in the car. Supposed to be clear tomorrow, so I’ll bike in then.

6. Jay says:

Cool, biking in snow is fun. My record is biking to work when the temp was 6 below zero…can anyone beat that? 🙂
    I’d like to hear extreme weather reports while biking to work…hail shouldn’t be that bad if you wear a helmet! Obviously just kidding!

Since the start of 2006, I have only let the weather deter me from riding in two days back in February, when we had a blizzard, and there was more than a foot of snow on the ground. I gave the plows two days to get the roads cleared, then hopped back on my bike. If I’d had knobbies on the bike at the time, I probably wouldn’t have missed any days, but slush slicks = slippery conditions.

I had hail once on my way to work this year. I’ve lost count of how many days I’ve ridden through the rain, and I don’t give it a second thought. At worst, it means throwing a dry pair of socks in my bag and hanging my riding clothes somewhere to dry. I’ve arrived at work/home soaked to the bone, shoes full of water plenty of times. Honestly, the only thing that bothers me about rain riding is the shoes full of water. That’s uncomfortable. I just bought some neoprene booties from Nashbar – they arrived yesterday. The forecast says we might get t-storms this afternoon, but I’ve got dinner plans on the lower east side. Might have to bust those booties out tonight!

For me biking to work is incidental to the bike being my primary mode of transport. If I let something as frequent as rain deter me from riding, then it’s not a reliable mode of transport. It’s a commitment, yes, but the pros still outweigh the cons.

8. Jay says:

Nick – I have a pair of the neoprene booties from Nashbar. Not sure what brand you bought, but I have the Nashbar brand (el cheapo), they’re decent in light rain, but in heavy rain they just delay your feet getting soaked by about 5 minutes.

Jay, I got these.

They’re probably the same – I’ll have to test them out in the shower. I guess I could always zip a plastic bag under the bootie…

My link failed – it was supposed to go here: Nashbar Bootie

11. Jay says:

They look similar, although I don’t remember paying $35, I think mine were more like $20. I think my main problem is they did not fit tight around my legs above my ankle. So when it rains hard the water just runs down my leg into the top of the booty. I’ve only used them a couple time, my ride is fairly short and I can usually dodge the downpours by leaving early or waiting around the office another 10-15 minutes.

Good luck with them…are you planning to write a product review when you have a chance to use them in heavy rain?

These are elastic with a velcro closure, so they fit nice and snug. Once I’ve had a chance to try them out, I’ll do a post about my rain gear.

13. Travis says:

Didnt commute today. I just slept under the desk. Had too much to do today at work.

So i guess i win… RIGHT?

14. Travis says:

Well i did ride home.. so i might share some of the wonderful pictures of stuttgart in the morning.

Travis