What's in Your Bag?

Some of you may have seen the What’s in Your Bag? Flickr pool by now, but if not, it’s worth a look. In the spirit of RL’s user feedback forums, I thought it would be fun to share, with a list or a picture if possible, the contents of our bags. Here’s mine:

The Biking Essentials: I don’t bike far without these things.
1. Blackburn Mars 2.0 and…
2. CatEye Compact Opticube for night riding
3. Crank Brother’s Multi-19 multi-tool
4. Sunblock
5. All-weather chain lubricant
6. Bacitracin antibiotic ointment (road rash happens)

The Everyday Items: Things I need once I’m off the bike.
7. iPod (not for use while riding)
8. Spare t-shirt (sweat happens)
9. Flask-shaped water bottle
10. Wallet, pen & pencil

That’s the bare minimum. I may carry any number of other things in the bag, but these ten items are in there pretty much all the time. Not pictured are my keys and cell phone, which are usually in my pockets. I also have a pump, chain and u-lock, but I don’t keep those in my bag. What do you carry?

0 thoughts on “What's in Your Bag?”

I’ve been riding with a messenger bike lately. I carry an extra tube, mini-pump, change of clothes (pants, shirt, briefs, belt), patch kit, No-name Multi tool kit, wallet, my lunch (tv dinner, banana, soda), Memory stick and my keys.

2. RL Policar says:

I’ve been using the Banjo Brother’s Messenger Bag and that carries my clothes, shoes, pump, Rocket Shower, wallet, keys and lunch.

3. So what’s in the flask?

Tap water – bottled at the source. It’s not actually a flask; it’s a SEI water bottle. Their bottles are flat and square like a flask, so they fit in a back pocket and stack well in a bag full of books. I hope the idea catches on soon – I’m tired of having to explain to people that I’m not chugging vodka at 7:30 in the morning after a long bike ride (duh).

I did fill it up with beer once, out of a keg, but only because there were no more cups.

mmm beer…

6. Varroa says:

Wow, I guess I don’t travel lite. I carry my change of clothes, cell phone, lunch, USB key, Mt Zefal Mini double shot pump, tire levers, no name ibuprophen, Sette multi tool, spare tube, patch kit, Planet Bike 7 LED flashing tail light, Planet bike 4 white LED flashing helmet light, Planet bike 3 red LED helmet mounted Flashing tail light and 3 single LED flashers (2 white and 1 red) and a Swiss army knife all in my messenger bag (Mountain Equipment Co-op brand, similar to REI).

7. Varroa says:

Oops, I forgot to mention my Creative Micro Zen MP3 player!

8. Chris says:

Wow. I carry my work clothes, lunch, cell phone and keys in my pannier bag. In the bag under my seat, I have a spare tube, the Allen wrenches that I need, tire levers, and a headlight. I have a pump and water bottle on the frame, taillight hanging on the seat bag. I have a lock and some electrical tape on there, too.

I don’t think it’s too much, but when I see a racer guy go by, it looks like I’m in a cargo plane to his fighter jet. Of course, I’m the one with a job!

9. Carl S says:

I have a large timbuk2 bag and I tend to carry a ton of stuff at all times. Books, laptop, personal items, work clothes & shoes, MP3 player, keys, cash, GPS reciever, flashlight, work gloves, cables… The clothes take up the most space, and the laptop weighs the most.

If I’m off the bike, it holds my helmet, gloves, and cycle shoes too.

I keep a spare tube, tools, and both front and rear lights stashed in the seat bag. That bag never comes off the bike, so, they’re allways there regardless of wether I have my bag with me or not.

10. Steve says:

In my Bushwacker pannier/garment bag I have my lunch, cable lock (I have a secure place to park), keys, phone, wallet, check book, pocket pc, work ID, service weapon, badge, spare tube, Topeak pump, Topeak multi tool, chain lube, clean shirt, socks, and underwear (if I haven’t pre-staged them at work with my other clothes). Before I had a place to stash my suit, shoes, belt and tie, my bag weighed nearly 25 pounds.

I feel the same as Chris above. Racers sometimes scream by me but I’m actually going somewhere and hauling cargo.

11. Chris says:

I dont use a messenger bag. I use a trunk rack. This is what I carry, pants, shirt, socks, boxers, spair tube, patch kit, 2 pumps, Co2, cell, work radio, lunch, pda, and my personall info.

12. chrislikesholidays says:

don’t forget your spare batteries!

13. Aaron S says:

I’m going with Carl S. on this one. I carry a full change of clothes, my Park Tool allen key set, a spare tube, laptop, extra laptop battery and other computer accessories, along with water and my lunch. Comes to pretty near 25 pounds of crap on my back.

14. healthnut says:

Definitely Water! After oxygen, water is your highest priority for attaining optimum health. Why? It’s quite simple-your body is over 70% water. Your brain is over 85% water. So it makes sense that you can’t drink too much water – pure water. Staying hydrated is absolutely crucial for optimum brain function and optimum health. It is vital for slowing aging. I often say we age from the brain down….And I know I’m not getting any younger! LOL!