Light To Light

So there I was the other day riding in to work. As I pull up to a light I begin hearing loud 80’s music blaring from a car near by. As I get closer to the cross walk lines and the music gets louder and louder. I finally get to the car that is playing some of this out dated or “classic rock” music.

I look over to my left and see a pretty cool car. It was some sort of Saturn convertible, brand new one and it was bright yellow.

receding

And in the driver’s seat was this guy in his late thirties or early forties, complete with his receding hair line, shirt with at least 3 buttons undone to show off his hairy chest laced with gold chains and bobbing his head to the beat of the music.

I chuckled a bit, then the light turns green and before I could even get my foot on the pedal the dude is already down the street hitting 2nd gear.

As I roll in to the next light, I see the same guy in his convertible. Still bobbing his head to his 80’s rock music. Then he revs up his engine and peels out! Wow, by this time I am (insert sarcasm, here) super impressed with him and so are the other folks around him.

Again, he’s already down the street before I could even pedal. But the funny thing is…I caught up to him again and again and again! This went on for about 5 lights.

It was kind a like the hare and tortoise story…The dude kept revving up his nice car, wasting gas just so he could get to the next light faster than the rest of us.

So what’s the moral of the story? Ride a bike…it could take about the same time to get there on bike as it would on a car. Besides, gas isn’t cheap, that guy probably went through a few gallons just because he wanted to show off.

0 thoughts on “Light To Light”

1. SV says:

I’ve had the same experience. Bicyclists are alot the ax wielding psychos in movies. Run all you want we will still catch you.(Insert evil laughter) And we do it on Gatorade not gas. How cool are we!

2. RL Policar says:

Haha I like that comparison to psychos!

3. HH says:

On a similar note, I have had people trying to scare me from their car (and I don’t count the possible un-intentional ones) either by screaming at me or reving by me. It kills me that I am trying to save gas (and helping to reduce demand) and reduce pollution, but these people decides its fun to scare me. In some ways, I wish that the gas will be even more expensive so that people can’t drive for fun…. of course, this would probably adds to the road rage; can’t win either way.
    Anyway, my question is: when would the society recognize that people who rides a bike or take the public transportation deserves at lot more respect? Also, how would the cycling commuting community promote this respect? We need to find a way to make commuting by bike cool 🙂

4. Jeff says:

HH, biking is cool, they just have not caught on.I first started commuting to get in better shape,not really thinking of the gas and emissions issues.Plus with the dollars I save commuting I can get more bike gear !

5. RL Policar says:

Yeah dude, biking IS cool. Everytime people hear about Priscilla and I being commuters, it seems like people are more envious of it than anything and they all say…”that’s cool!”

The CEO of my job saw me coming in on my bike and said that it shows dedication on my part to ride as far as I do. And he’s even pointed out that I like challenges because I’m crazy enough to ride my bike to work. Oh yeah, he said that as he was assigning me a new project…haha

6. HH says:

Yeah, I think bicycle commuting is cool too, and I am glad that there are plenty of people who thinks so too. Maybe just the bad ones stand out because they make a scene, but they sure make those moments harsh.

7. Biking is definitely cool! When you were a kid in elementary school, all the cool kids rode their bikes to school. I couldn’t wait until I was able to ride my bike to school. Now as an adult, biking is even cooler because of several reasons such as: saving money by commuting, environmental benefits, loss of poundage from all the exercise you get, and most of all its fun.