Red Light Camera

red light camera

Do you think cyclists should be liable under the red light cameras?

0 thoughts on “Red Light Camera”

I don’t think that cars or bikes should be liable under the red light cameras. It wouldn’t matter anyway, bikes don’t carry a license plate.

2. Chris says:

Yes. If you want to be treated as an equal, you must behave as an equal. No exceptions.

That works fine for me, since I have no interest in being treated like a car.

4. eric says:

Definitely. We can’t complain about motorists breaking the law if we do it ourselves. But how do we enforce this without license plates on bikes? I suppose we wait a few years until we all have RFID tags implanted.

5. Ventura says:

The fine should be proportional to the vehicle’s momentum. My 200-pound vehicle at 20 MPH will do a lot less damage than a 3,000-pound Honda at 30 MPH.

6. cqchammer says:

The thing is that some traffic signals are photo or weight sensitive and won’t change to green for a bicycle. I’ll stop but if it’s clear I’m going.

7. Dan says:

I think it was Phoenix that made a law that if a motorcycle was stuck at a red light for more than a minute they could run the light if it was clear because motorcycles weren’t heavy enough to trip the sensors. We should push to have this law enacted for bicycles.

8. Jay says:

I’ve always heard under the “my bike is not heavy enough to trip the sensor” issue that you can go ahead and proceed with caution. If a cops pulls you over you can use “malfunctioning traffic signal” as your defense. Something like this…”Officer, I waited and waited and the light never turned green, therefore I assumed the light was malfunctioning.” I’ve gone through several red light due to not trippiing the sensor, but I’ve never been pulled over doing it so I can’t tell you if this argument carries any weight.

By the way, I think Nick’s comments should be taked with a grain of salt, his commuting world is unique and not really representative of traffic conditions the majority of us face on a daily basis.

My comments should always be taken with a grain of salt, if not a bowl.

We like Nick’s comments because his point of view represents NY City commuting. As Jay pointed out, his world is different than what most of us face. Even though I ride in Los Angeles, I have the advantage of river trails and wide streets. I wouldn’t mind trying to ride in NY one of this days and experience what Nick sees.

11. Murray says:

If the light does’t recognise me, why should I recognise the light? I’m always getting caught a intersections where the lights do not trigger for a cyclist. It leaves you (the cyclist) with no choice but to risk your neck. I wish I could fine the road designers for putting me at risk.

You’re welcome to come ride with me anytime, Moe.

13. […] Red Light Camera Big Brother is waching you…. […]