There’s things that are just “common sense” to a lot of us, but it’s always nice to see it backed up by real data.
Bikes Belong did a survey recently that shows that gas prices are pushing bikes sales higher than ever.
The majority of retailers who responded said their sales of transportation-related bicycles, accessories, and service have increased in 2008 compared to 2007:
- 73% said they are selling more bikes.
- 84% said they are selling more accessories.
- 88% said they are selling more service.
Is this increase in sales because of high gas prices? Most retailers who we surveyed think so:
- 95% of shops said customers cited high gas prices as a reason for their transportation-related purchases.
- 80% of retailers said gas prices were helping them sell more bikes for transportation.
- 86% thought accessory sales were getting a boost.
- 89% said they were selling more service because of high gas prices.