'My name is _______, and I commute by bike.'

I Commute by BikeEver since the North American Handmade Bike Show we’ve been accumulating these short videos of people declaring, on record, that they commute by bike.

This is the first of what we hope will be an ongoing series.

Our hope is that we can show the world that bike commuting is not just the realm of bike geeks, hipsters, Lycraphiles, and other weirdos.

This first video is pretty heavy on the bike geeks and bike advocates. I’d like to get that ratio down.

I don’t want this to become an exercise in guessing what mainstream people want to see. I think that’s called marketing.

Instead, I’d like to invite our readers to film themselves.

So, if you have a camcorder, a digital camera, or phone that can make short movies, make your own video proclaiming, ‘My name is [YOUR NAME], and I commute by bike.’

Feel free to film your friends and coworkers too. The more the better.

We are working out the technical details and we will have an online form where you can submit those videos for future installments of these videos.

Update: The technical details have been conquered!

Here is the form to use:

[contact-form 2 “I Commute by Bike”]

6 thoughts on “'My name is _______, and I commute by bike.'”

1. Chrehn says:

Great idea.

2. Syndy says:

Love this idea! Love to see all the different people & their bikes!

3. BluesCat says:

I dunno, Ted. (chuckle) Sounds like the introduction you make at your first AA meeting!

“Hi, my name is BluesCat, and I commute by bike.”

Group responds, in an off-key, two-tone chorus: “Hi, BluesCat.”

“I ride so much, Mrs. Cat says I love my bikes more than I love her!”

A murmur flows through the crowd, several chins bob up and down in acknowledgement.

“I’ve begun to get really hostile towards any sort of motorized traffic that comes close to me.”

Several voices in the group almost shout agreement.

“And … the WORST thing is …” BluesCat’s lower lip trembles, “I’ve raided the grandkid’s college fund to buy a new set of panniers!”

Gasps; some group members cover their faces with their hands. The group leader comes over and lays a comforting hand on BluesCat’s shoulder.”

“You’re in a bad way, Friend. Um … have you ever thought of taking up drinking?”

1. Ted Johnson says:

That reads like a script for a video that I might feel compelled to make. Funny stuff, BluesCat. I wish I’d thought of it.

4. Chuck says:

“Geeks… Hipsters… Weirdos…”

Yeah, G.F. pretty much fills all catagories.

5. Karen says:

Great idea, Ted! Now, where’s that FlipCam?